Thursday, September 10, 2009

The first sprint to Broome

I'm writing this from our camper-trailer in a Broome caravan park.  These wireless internet thingy's are handy sometimes.

I've just completed a 2,240km trip from Perth to Broome.  It took almost 3 days via the Great Northern Highway (inland route) rather than the costal route.

I hadn't even left Upper Swan before I picked up a hitch-hiker who wanted a lift to Dalwallinu.  Over the couse of the next couple of hours I learned heaps about the truck-towing game from Gerry.  He got a call to get to Dalwallinu as soon as he could and bring a truck back to Perth.

The wildflowers were out in force in the wheatbelt and Murchison - although by the time I got to Meekatharra I realised I hadn't seen any for a while.  I hope I manage to get a few good pics on the way back...

I had a few pleasant "old memories" resurface as I headed north of Meekatharra.  The country changed and looked the same as when I worked at the Fortnum Gold Mine which is in the vicinity.  I went whizzing past some old dirt roads I had driven TO the highway on, but never actually travelled down the highway.  The mine is some distance (90km??) from the highway and I didn't take the time to do a "drive-by".

Just south of Newman the country changes again into the spectacular iron ore and gorge country.  I passed within a few km of Karajini.  Had I planned my stops better, I would have stayed there for a night rather than in Meekatharra.   The spectacular countryside (and altitude 700 to 750m) suddenly gave way to vast plains at Auski.  The only other countryside of note was some spectacular outcrops (Tors?) about 150km south of Port Headland.

The drive between Port Headland and Broome, in my mind competes, with the wonderment and awe and sheer beauty you experience when you drive between Adelaide and Pt Augusta - or from Mildura to the SA Border.  There isn't any.  To be fair - if I'd gone off the highway and had a poke around - I would've found some good stuff.  I believe the 80 mile beach is spectacular (maybe on the way back eh?).

I arrived in Broome mid-afternoon and after setting up the trailer in the c/van park - I headed off to Cable Beach and took a couple of pics of the setting sun (not to mention sms'ing Keyla with a couple of pics of me on the beach with beer in hand - whilst knowing full well the weather in Perth was miserable).

I just downloaded the pics below and found that in a short time on the beach I managed to squeeze off 100 frames.  Sunsets can chew a lot of pics.  Lucky the film is cheap in these digital cameras...



Now the next stage of the trip can commence - Keyla is flying to Broome on Saturday morning.  After a bit of a stock-up on consumables - we'll be off to the Gibb River Road on Sunday (13th).

No comments:

Post a Comment